My approach is a systems and complexity thinking informed approach that can be used to give a wide range of options for change/ improvements.
It can be used to diagnose a current situation where things aren’t working well, design something from scratch, or to change a situation by creating the conditions for change. I help people reframe the situation, align values and purposes they have in common and find a way forward together, whilst appreciating and accommodating difference.
My aim is to help you understand and put in place the conditions required for your system to adapt, thrive and survive in sometimes rapidly changing environments.
I do not use a traditional ‘problem’ ‘solution’ style of consulting. I seek to help you develop a working context that creates the conditions for change, so you can thrive and survive in the longer term.
There are a number of strengths to my approach:
- It develops understanding in your context – it is a uniquely different way of thinking about your current situation;
- It is widely applicable – from large organisations to small services;
- It has rigour – it uses tried and tested methods, models and concepts;
- It develops a wider range of co-created options for improvement;
- It enables you to work with otherwise intimidating complex situations
And it can bring a number of benefits, such as:
- Giving your system the ability to adapt and change, to take advantage of opportunities and cope with the consequences of shock or stress;
- Helping you to increase your capacity and capability by helping you understand the underlying structures that drive system behaviours;
- Developing a strong foundation for decision making;
- Helping you to understand your complex context, so you can improve problematic situations.
And some additional benefits:
- It can explicitly identify power dynamics, so that you can develop strategies for dealing with them;
- It encourages stakeholders to drive systemic change;
- It can help to identify potential conflict situations;
- It can help teams to create an environment of ongoing innovation;
- It encourages a greater entrepreneurial mindset;
- It encourages you to experiment and identifies that failure is temporary and, in some cases, a necessary pre-cursor to success;
- It can give you a different response to conflict.